Police deny claims Hainault sword rampage suspect was released 24 hours earlier | UK | News

Police deny claims Hainault sword rampage suspect was released 24 hours earlier | UK | News

Police have denied claims they had released a suspect less than 24 hours prior to a knife rampage in London that saw a 14-year-old boy stabbed to death. 

The teenager was knifed on his way to school when chaos unfolded in the Thurlow Gardens area in Hainault, east London. A car rammed into a house at 7am, before 999 calls reported multiple people had been stabbed.

A terrifying stand off occurred at the scene between police and the suspect, who was seen wielding a sword along the residential street. Four others were rushed to hospital, including two police officers who suffered stab injuries as they tried to arrest the suspect.

Dramatic pictures show the moment the 36-year-old man was Tasered by cops before being arrested. 

A 23-year-old man told the Express that less than 24 hours earlier he had seen the alleged killer wielding two knives. He claimed that he saw the suspect less than half a mile from where the teenager was killed on his way to school.

The man, who only gave his name as Jefferson, told this website: “I counted what happened yesterday, that was right outside my house. He came out screaming guys ‘help me’.

“I was in my house, looking out the window – that was in Copperfield – 30 minutes later he got arrested.”

Copperfield is approximately 0.3 miles from Thurlow Gardens, where a 14-year-old boy was knifed to death.

James Fernando, 39, a military coordinator who claimed he witnessed today’s terrifying attack, told the Express outside the police cordon that the suspect was apprehended by officers between 2pm and 4pm on Monday, April 29 – a matter of hours before the fatal attack at 7am the following morning.

The Hainault resident said: “He was arrested yesterday… with two knives.”

He added that officers arrested the suspect around two miles from where the incident around Hainault Station occurred.

He said: “He was arrested on Broadmead Estate. I was told by other residents who saw out the window that he had two knives with him.”

In a press conference at the scene on Tuesday evening, the Met dispelled the claims.

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner, Louisa Rolfe, who leads on Frontline Policing, has said there is no trace of a prior incident involving the alleged attacker.

Asst Commissioner Rolfe said detectives have yet to interview the suspect due to injuries he sustained.

She told reporters the alleged attacker was injured when his van collided with the building.

Giving a statement in Hainault, Asst Commissioner Rolfe said: “The 36-year-old man arrested at the scene is currently in hospital having suffered injuries when his van collided with a building.

“He has been arrested on suspicion of murder. At this time, given his injuries, we have been unable to interview him.

“Our thoughts of course remain with the family and friends of the 14-year-old boy who very sadly died here this morning.

“We’re also thinking of the two members of the public who were injured, as well as brave officers who were stabbed.”

#Police #deny #claims #Hainault #sword #rampage #suspect #released #hours #earlier #News

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *